What is zip & link?
Our zip & link mattresses offer a versatile solution for couples. The two single mattresses can be joined by a zip to create one super king mattress or left separate. This way, you won’t feel your partner moving around and can choose different firmness ratings to suit your personal preference. This one is soft on both sides.
How to choose the right tension
The best tension is the one that best supports your body weight. Ideally you’d try it in store, but if you can’t, generally speaking, we recommend a soft tension mattress if you weigh up to 70kg (11 stone), a medium for 70–100kg (11–16 stone) and a firm for over 100kg (16 stone).
The materials: layered British wool and cotton
Highclere’s outermost layer of padding is formed of micro layers of cotton and British wool. Wool and cotton are the perfect mattress pairing because while wool wicks away moisture from the sleeping surface, cotton absorbs it, keeping you comfortable throughout the night. Both are also soft, springy and durable.
The materials: horsehair
Horsehair is a material that you’ll only find in the very finest mattresses. Like wool, its hollow structure means it’s capable of wicking away moisture and insulating, keeping you cool in summer and pleasantly warm in winter. It’s also unbeatably durable, providing support and structure in the second layer down.
The materials: bonded British wool and cotton
The third layer down in Highclere is another blend of wool and cotton. This time though, they’ve been bonded together in a low-heat process using a natural, corn-based material. Doing that increases their elasticity, which is why this is the layer closest to the springs: it’ll respond to their movement perfectly and keep on doing so for decades.
The materials: pocket springs
The pocket springs in Highclere are made by Vispring using vanadium – a type of steel that has a high tensile strength. In short, they’ll mould to your body and then bounce back when you get up without losing their shape. And as they’re encased in individual pockets, they can move independently of each other to dampen any movement from your bedfellow. So, even if they’re tossing and turning, you won’t be.
Highclere is encased in a 100% viscose, Belgian damask ticking. Viscose is a manufactured fabric made from plant cellulose. It’s breathable, so it won’t trap your body heat, as well as strong and soft, making it a great choice for mattress coverings. It’s treated to make sure it’s fire retardant using an entirely natural, chemical-free, sustainable compound.
The finishing details
The edges of Highclere are finishing with pure Merino wool piping for extra strength in this area, while the hand-stitched tufts on the face surfaces have soft and comfortable felt washers. There are also padded handles securely stitched onto the long sides to help with turning and moving, and air vents to keep the mattress fillings fresh and allow moisture to escape.
Can I turn this mattress?
Yes, as the layers are mirrored on each side, and we recommend that you do so at least seasonally, and twice a month for the first three months. Highclere’s layers are generously thick and will naturally settle in the areas where your body’s heaviest, so turning it will help even that out and prolong its life.
- It’s £9.95 for parcels (or €19), £20 for small furniture deliveries (or €35) and £50 for large furniture deliveries (or €75).
- The cost of delivery will be based on the largest piece in your order and will be calculated at checkout.
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 3-5 days for accessories and lighting and 7 days for furniture. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
- Furniture orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back any item (in its original packaging) within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are charged at £9.95 (or €19 in Ireland).
- A £50 (or €150 in Ireland) collection charge applies to all furniture and large accessory returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.