The materials: woven paper cord
Traditionally, rush is the material of choice for woven seats like the ones in our Wycombe collection. But, for ours, we’ve chosen to use a cord material made from wood pulp paper. Paler and more uniform in colour than rush, this paper cord complements Wycombe’s light oak and clean lines (it was also favoured by mid-century designers such as Hans J Wegner for his Wishbone chair, and so is often known as Danish cord). It’s just as strong and durable as natural rush, and we’ve coated it in wax that makes it spill resistant – don’t worry, this won’t come off on clothes.
Meet the familyAs well as this folding dining chair and its fixed counterpart, there’s also a Wycombe bench and a Wycombe stool in our Wycombe collection, making it one of our most versatile designs. It means you can create a coordinating combination of seats around your table that works perfectly for you.
Wycombe’s design story
Designed after the fixed Wycombe chair, this folding one looks and feels just the same – there’s no compromise in style or comfort just because it’s a folding chair. If you’d like to read more about its story, just head on over to our journal.
How does it work?
The antique naval chair that inspired us to create a folding chair came apart into several pieces before it would collapse flat. We felt that was a bit fiddly though, so we’ve used hinges that allow the seat to lift up and the sides to fold in, creating a flat piece for storing away easily. It’ll also stand up on all four legs when flat, so it’s less likely to fall over while in storage.
Is it any less strong?
While that antique piece had removeable reinforcing bars between the legs to keep them in place and secure when the seat’s being used, we’ve chosen to strengthen the seat itself instead. It means no extra pieces to potentially lose, and nothing to worry about while you’re sitting on Wycombe.
The materials: oakOak’s sense of tradition together with its distinctive (but not too knotty) grain make it our go-to timber. Naturally durable when it comes to knocks, we’ve further protected the oak from spills with IsoGuard® – our oil-based formula that doesn’t mask the timber’s character. You can find out more about that here.
Wycombe might have a very neat and upright profile, but the stretcher – the horizontal piece at the top of the backrest – is curved, which means it hugs comfortably around your shoulders. And, as well as adding texture, the woven seat is also slightly springy – ideal if you find wooden seats just a little too firm.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are free of charge.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.