Oak on top, because it’s the hardwood to end all hardwoods – for us at least. Oak means it’ll look good in your home. You can expect the odd knot here and the odd change in wood grain there – which means no two desks will ever look quite the same – but overall, it’s a well-balanced timber. Plus, with oak, it comes with a real sense of heritage. In Carter, it’s combined with incredibly strong steel.
The finish: oak
Brushing, buffing, staining – they’re just three of the seven steps your desk’s tabletop will go through. They’re what make it look a bit rustic, without you having to use aged timber. Perfect for people who like the idea of vintage, but prefer things that are actually ‘brand new’. The last step is our timber treatment oil – IsoGuard®. Which, in a nutshell, makes oak easier to live with. Think of it as a bit of a defence barrier, but one that you can’t see, feel or would ever know was there.
The finish: steel
Carter’s legs are powder-coated and then baked at scorching temperatures so that you’re left with an almost matte black colour (there’s a tiny hint of bronze) that’s as tough as old boots. It’s a process that’s quicker than the traditional method of ‘quenching’, and far more robust than paint or lacquer.
Design is in the detail
As well as useful details like the drawers, laptop/keyboard slot (which, incidentally, is just as handy for paperwork too) and shelf, Carter’s also designed to help you keep on top of cables – peer into the laptop slot and you’ll spot a hole for routing your charger through. The joinery in Carter is another design detail worth pointing out too: the drawers are made using dovetail joints, which make them strong and secure, no matter how often you pull them in and out.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are free of charge.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Just so you know
Natural timber will always want to move. Fact. It’s going to expand and shrink as the temperature and humidity in your home changes, but there are specialist joinery techniques that can help to counteract the movement. And that’s exactly what we do.