The materials: woolThere are lots of reasons to love 100% wool. It’s strong, hypoallergenic and it happens to be insulating and breathable too, so despite being thought of as a fabric only for cold months, it’ll also keep you cool in summer. As for its handle, the sheep breed and the climate it lives in determines the look and feel. This wool is reflective of the enduring and sublime landscape of the Outer Hebrides, which gives the material its hardy, tactile texture that Harris Tweed is best known for.
The colourYou’ll notice that every Harris Tweed fabric is full of rich colours. This is because the yarns are dyed before being woven, letting the weavers blend several shades to create more depth. Where possible though, the wool is left in its natural state, as with some of the lighter colours in this check fabric. Any dyes used are compliant with the ZDHC (Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals) organisation, whose mission is to reduce the amount of harmful chemicals released into the environment.
Doing the right thingBy law, every Harris Tweed fabric is required to be wholly made in the Outer Hebrides. This means that not only does the wool carry a minimal carbon footprint, but it also provides sustainable employment for small-scale farmers, mill workers and home weavers, and secures the continuation of traditional craft techniques.
Where we see itA heavier weight cloth than most tweed jackets, our fabric is ideal whenever you want a hard-wearing textile. The wool goes through an extra milling process (where the warp and weft of the fabric are bonded together to create a tighter weave) which results in a strong upholstery material. Its classic check design is especially good at adding cosiness with accessories too, like our Grace cushion.
Harris Tweed's story
To find out more about the full process behind this hand-woven fabric, you can read about it on our journal. Once you’ve discovered Harris Tweed’s story, take a peek at the rest of the collection here.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 3-5 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
- Suitable for dry cleaning.
- Keep pilling to a minimum by steering clear of abrasive cleaning products and gently sponging away marks when required.
Our fabrics: making the right choice for your home and lifestyle
A guide to each and every fabric in our collection, covering everything from style to which ones are suited to children and pets.