At Neptune, we believe that what’s underneath should be as well-made as any part of a design you can see. It’s the only way to ensure that a piece will last and last for generations. The frame of this chair is built using only proper timber and trusted joinery techniques. The hope is that, when the fabric and fillings eventually need replacing in decades to come, the frame will be ready for reupholstery, as good as the day it was new.
While most of our upholstered pieces are made using serpentine springs (the horizontal, wavy kind), Caspar is a little different. Its design started with a vintage chair which featured eight-way, hand-tied springs, and Caspar’s shape meant that we could use them in our design too. These hourglass-shaped springs are linked together so they work in unison to take your weight and offer consistent support across the whole seat.
Each of our chairs has its own filling ratio to best suit its proportions and character. In Caspar, that means a core of medium-density foam in its seat cushion surrounded by a perfectly-plumped feather and fibre wrap for a soft-drop, sink-into feel that still offers support. In the back, we’ve used just feather and fibre, with no foam, but these are channelled so they don’t all sink to the bottom with use.
In true club-chair style, Caspar is deep enough for curling up and relaxing in (we think it makes a great reading chair), but not so much that you can’t sit up straight and chat to friends. The backrest is neither very tall nor too short to offer support, while the arms (which are quite slim, to make the most of the footprint for seat space) are a great leaning-on height.
While Caspar’s oak front legs are straight and simple, the back ones kick out slightly in a playful way. The studs also add lots of character, hinting at Caspar’s vintage origins and running around all the outside edges of the chair as well as inside the seat along the arms. Their metal finish will change depending on the fabric you choose.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Caspar is upholstered in a genuine leather, so each chair will have markings that will be entirely unique. It’ll age gracefully, developing its own character over time.
And, rest assured, all the feathers and down in our cushion fillings come from ethical, cruelty-free sources.