The frame: in the making
We make our frames using expert joinery techniques that’ll stand up to a lifetime of use. The point where the back legs meet the frame needs to be especially strong – it’ll be taking most of the weight – which is why we use finger joints that securely lock together each piece of timber.
Learn more about our frames.
Support and a little bounce come from the serpentine springs in the base and elastic webbing in the back. The seat cushion has a core of firmer foam so that you’ll never feel the frame, which is surrounded by feather, down and fibre. The back is padded with a much softer foam.
Comfort and proportions
It’s a lovely surprise to sit down in Matilda and discover that it’s so soft. The backrest is high enough to support your upper back and shoulders, but this is a chair that’s not too deep in the seat.
Shape and silhouette
Matilda’s shape is fluid, from the way the oak legs kick out ever-so slightly, to the scroll in the arms and the fan shape of the back. It’s these structural traits that give Matilda its playful, approachable personality.
There are very few extra details on Matilda – no tufting, no stitches and no buttons. It’s a chair that’s all about a beautiful shape. So, we’ve highlighted it with just a few simple lines of piping.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
The textiles in our fabric library range from pure linen to rich velvet and wool, and each one has its own character. Tone and texture can vary slightly from thread to thread, and expect to see the occasional slub in our linens and pile movement in our velvets. We’ve written an article about the personality behind each of our fabrics so that you can figure out which one best suits your home.
And, rest assured, all the feathers and down in our cushion fillings come from ethical, cruelty-free sources.
Sometimes colour between batches can vary ever-so-slightly. To be on the safe side, we’d advise buying pieces that are being used in the same room in one go.
You might notice ‘marks’ on the velvet when it comes out of its packaging or after you’ve lent on it. They happen when you flatten the fibres and are a completely normal characteristic of velvet – they’re all part of the way it ages. But if you’d prefer, you can use a velvet brush to push the pile back into place.