We build our frames as pieces of furniture in their own right, using solid timber and proper joinery over cardboard and staples. And we’ve secured the back legs into the frame with finger joints, so they’re as strong and long-lasting as possible. Just like the rest of the Olivia collection.
A thinner mattress is a must (otherwise your sofa’s proportions will look odd) so we’ve opted for a high-quality foam one that’ll stand up to being folded. It also means that, underneath, we needed to use a mesh base rather than springs or slats which you’d be able to feel. It’s a combination we decided on after rigorous testing, and it’s the comfiest, most robust pairing for both the sofa and the bed. Size-wise, the bed is between a UK double and a king.
We searched high and low to find what we think is the smoothest and simplest sofa bed mechanism out there. And then we really put it through its paces so that you can rest assured that it’ll last you for years and years – even if you use it every day – and still be going strong.
Comfort and proportions
This sofa slopes back, is quite deep and has mounded seat cushions, so your knees sit snugly against it. Olivia also has a backrest that’s high enough to rest your head on, and size-wise, it’s more generous than a double, but not quite a king-size bed. It’s because the mechanism’s Italian. So be sure to use king-size bed linen with it.
Shape and Silhouette
Olivia is plump yet tailored, with a neat back and a square-shaped front frame. The arms are petite, low down and set back from the front edge to give you as much seating space as possible. And there’s a slight scroll to the back – another touch of understated softness.
We’ve designed the Olivia sofa bed to have a little ledge between the top of the bed and the back of the sofa when it’s pulled out. You can use it to prop up the sofa’s base cushions that you need to take off when you extend the bed. They’ll act as a makeshift headboard instead of having them scattered on your floor.
Choosing bed linen
As the mattress is slimmer than most and in-between standard bed sizes, we’d suggest that you use a king-sized flat sheet and also a king-sized duvet for the most comfort. You can explore our Egyptian cotton and linen bedding collections online here.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Just so you know
The textiles in our fabric library range from pure linen to rich velvet and wool, and each one has its own character. Tone and texture can vary slightly from thread to thread, and expect to see the occasional slub in our linens. We’ve written an article about the personality behind each of our fabrics so that you can figure out which one best suits your home.
And, rest assured, all the feathers and down in our cushion fillings come from ethical, cruelty-free sources.