Jute is a plant very similar to linen: it’s quick growing and doesn’t need chemical fertilisers or pesticides, making it very sustainable. Like linen, the fibres are also extracted from the stems using a natural process called ‘retting’, where the stems are left to break down in water. Once stripped away, the fibres are then spun into cord before being woven. As it’s entirely natural, jute is also biodegradable.
Our Arbroath baskets all have useful carry handles made from plaited jute cord. They wrap right around the base of the basket, making them incredibly strong and secure, as well as being a character-adding design detail and a traditional feature of jute baskets woven in Bangladesh.
There are lots of different ways you could use these baskets – their shape makes them very versatile. The smallest, for instance, would make an attractive holder for loo rolls or for organising smaller items, like facecloths and pillowcases, in a linen cupboard. The medium size would be great in a washstand for bottles, or beside a fire for kindling. While the largest is perfectly sized for magazines or folded blankets.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 3-5 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are free of charge.
- A £50 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.