Why this set?
Televisions and all the bits and bobs that go along with them are very much a part of most of our living spaces, but they’re not necessarily the most attractive of additions. This cabinet integrates them as part of a more decorative display, so although your TV will still be your room’s focal point, when its not on, it’ll fade more into the background. Of our two, preconfigured Chawton TV sets, this one is the biggest (it even includes a ladder on a rail), for spaces that call for a real statement piece.
The TV cabinet
Although, on the surface, this cabinet looks very much like the others, there are a few subtle but important differences in the details. For instance, the back panel is reinforced so you can hang a screen on it. Then the shelves have upstands, creating added strength and security for speakers. And there’s a discreet hole in the back and small notches on the shelves so you can route your cables through neatly.
Adding a TV: how does it work?In the central TV cabinet, mount your screen on the back panel using a bracket designed for your particular device. There are two shelves included too, with fixed positions above and below the screen, which can hold soundbars and other devices. These are removeable, so you can take one or both out to make room for your TV. Chawton supports a TV size up to: D32cm x H98.5cm x W173cm.
Chawton’s made from tulipwood and oak: two timbers you can depend upon for years to come. They’re both strong, they’re both natural, and they’re both excellent at what they do – tulipwood with its fine, even grain for painting, and oak with its characterful (but not too knotty) grain for leaving on show.
The finish: tulipwood
Not every piece of furniture and every colour of paint needs the same process – a ‘one finish suits all’ approach won’t ever give you the best result possible. That’s why we vary the number of coats and use both hand-painted and spray-painted techniques depending on what that shade needs.
The finish: oak
Whichever colour you choose for the exterior, inside will always be unpainted oak. We’ve brushed, buffed and stained it to give it a slightly darkened and textured finish. And we’ve protected it with our IsoGuard® oil to help it stand up to scuffs and stains – without changing the natural feel of the timber.
Handles & hardware
All Chawton’s hardware – from the porthole-like handles to the sliding door rails – is finished in deep, dark Bronze. It’s just the thing to go with the contemporary cabinet style, but not too modern for a traditional home.
The oak shelves rest on pins that let you adjust their position up and down. No ordinary pins though, they’re incredibly strong metal ones, which screw into the sides properly and are finished in bronze just the same as the rest of the hardware.
So it’s perfectly coordinating, the ladder is made from strong, natural oak – just like the interior of the Chawton cabinets – which we’ve buffed, brushed and stained to give it the same, slightly darkened and textured finish. The rungs (and the support rail) are steel and also match, this time with the dark bronze cabinet hardware.
Chawton’s designed so that you can easily put it together yourself – because it’s freestanding, you don’t need a professional to install it. It means that, if you want to move it, add sections or take pieces away in the future, you absolutely can.
Choose to span wall to wall and floor to ceiling, opt for glazed shelving over open and drawers over doors, create a dresser for a low-beamed cottage or a bookcase for a sloping-ceilinged barn – with Chawton, the choice is entirely yours. Just pop into one of our stores to get started.
- It’s £9.95 for parcels (or €19), £20 for small furniture deliveries (or €35) and £50 for large furniture deliveries (or €75).
- The cost of delivery will be based on the largest piece in your order and will be calculated at checkout.
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 3-5 days for accessories and lighting and 7 days for furniture. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
- Furniture orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £50 collection charge applies to all furniture and large accessory returns delivered with our white glove service.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are charged at £9.95 (or €19 in Ireland).
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Just so you know
You need to attach Chawton to the wall with the brackets included to keep it secure. If you’d like us to do this for you, just pop into store to ask about our fitting service.
You’ll also find height-adjustable feet hidden behind the skirting. They’re there just in case your floor’s not perfectly even.
And, if you decide to turn your dresser into a sideboard in the future, you’ll just need to swap out the work surface for a sideboard-ready one, which doesn’t have any bolt-holes in it.
We haven’t included a TV bracket with this cabinet, so you can use the one that suits your screen best.
Natural timber will always want to move. It’s going to expand and shrink as the temperature and humidity in your home changes, but there are specialist joinery techniques that can help to counteract the movement. And that’s exactly what we do, so although you might see a little movement in the timber over the seasons, it won’t change drastically.
And finally, the colours you see here are as close to the real thing as we can get them, but it’s always a good idea to try a sample first if you’re looking to get the colour spot on.