Earthenware is a type of clay that’s fired at lower temperatures (as opposed to stoneware or porcelain, which need more heat to harden properly). Because of that, it’s more porous. But, so you can fill it with water for fresh flowers, we’ve glazed Thursfield to make it watertight. Earthenware’s also usually a little rougher in texture than other clays – perfect for Thursfield’s exposed, tactile top.
The crackle finish on Thursfield is created using two layers of glaze. Because one dries quicker than the other, hairline cracks appear in the surface, giving it the feel of a much older piece and more layers of texture and interest.
Creating the vase
Thursfield’s made in a mould because it lets us create much finer sides than if we made it on a wheel, so the vase is lighter and more delicate. The shape is first made by hand out of clay which, when dry, is cast in plaster. Once that’s dry, we pour a liquid mixture of the earthenware clay around the sides of the plaster mould and leave it to dry until it’s hard enough to take out and fire.
The wildflower decoration is hand-stamped onto the clay, and gives it texture as well as colour and pattern because this technique creates indentations. Colour variations and an irregular look to the pattern are all part of the fact that it’s done by hand, so no two pieces will look the same.
What to fill it with
If you want to fill Thursfield rather than leaving it empty, then white and blue flowers work best. Try a full bunch of tulips in this medium-sized vase – the slim neck will hold them in so they gently spill over the edges. Or else, use just greenery on its own. Silvery olive stems will complement the blue pattern.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 3-5 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are free of charge.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Just so you know
Our larger vases are heavy. Half-full of water, even heavier. So we recommend arranging your flowers in situ rather than trying to carry the vase when it’s full.