1. Preheat your oven to 160°C and lightly grease and line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, salt and spices and set to one side.
3. Next, put a saucepan on a gentle heat to melt the butter with the maple syrup and co-conut sugar. This should take about five minutes.
4. While the butter melts down, whisk together the milk and eggs in a separate small bowl.
5. As soon as the butter is silky smooth, pour it into the flour bowl and give it a good stir. Once it’s all blended, add in the beaten eggs and milk, and then stir thoroughly.
6. Now it’s time for the oven. Tip the Parkin mixture into the baking tin and leave it in the oven for 40-45 minutes. To check it’s ready, poke the centre with a cake tester (a chopstick or sharp knife work just as well) – it should come out clean. The sponge should also spring back when you lightly touch it.
7. Leave it to cool on a wire rack and then cut it up into 16 square chunks.