We use oak because of its beautiful grain, its durability and its sense of heritage (we’ve written more on oak’s qualities here). Part of its character are its knots and variations in tone, so each piece will have its own hand-writing. It’s combined with steel, a metal known for its load-bearing strength.
The finish: oak
The oak goes through a seven-step process of brushing, staining and buffing to highlight the natural character in its grain. It’s then protected with IsoGuard®, our treatment oil that makes it easier to live with but that doesn’t mask its texture. We’ve aptly called the resulting appearance Dark Vintage Oak.
The finish: steel
Traditionally, steel is given a durable, blackened finish through quenching. But it’s an industrial process that’s just not practical for us, so we powder-coat Carter’s frame instead. Almost black in colour, but with a hint of bronze, it’s a finish that, although it may still show the occasional scratch, will age gracefully.
Even the smaller table in this set offers a useful amount of space on its tabletop. This second table is also quite low, which does allow it to fit inside the other, but is worth bearing in mind if you have high-sided seating.
Unlike the other Carter occasional tables, the frames on these are open at the front and back so you can easily pull the smallest out. Also practical are the discreet rubber feet underneath, so they’ll glide over hard flooring.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are free of charge.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Just So you know
This piece is made from natural timber, which will expand (slightly) and shrink (just a little) as it responds to the humidity and temperature in your room. We’ve used joinery techniques that’ll help to counteract this, but small changes in your piece are completely natural and to be expected. Just know that, in the very unlikely event that there’s a significant change to the structure, we’ll be here to help.
The joy of sitting in
Ways to rekindle the joy of an evening in, from the practical (choosing the perfect seat), to the fun (setting up a home cinema) to the emotive (why ‘hygge’ is still relevant).