The frame: in the making
We make our frames using expert joinery techniques that’ll stand up to a lifetime of use. The point where the back legs meet the frame needs to be especially strong – it’ll be taking most of the weight – which is why we use finger joints that securely lock together each piece of timber.
Learn more about our frames.
Structure and a little bounce come from the serpentine springs in the base and elastic webbing in the back. The backrest is padded with a medium density foam, whereas in the seat it’s much softer, but we’ve been sure to use enough so that you’ll never feel the frame beneath.
Comfort and proportions
For such a small chair, the seat is quite deep so you can slouch a little or sit upright. And the slightly firmer backrest supports your upper back and shoulders.
Shape and silhouette
This chair’s uncomplicated looks extend to the bigger details too. It might have scrolled arms, but the back is squared-off and the front edge left plain to balance out the decorative touches.
As a subtle finishing touch, just two buttons decorate William’s backrest and piping defines its silhouette. The back legs continue the arc of the frame, while the intricate front legs are traditionally turned.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £29.95 collection charge applies to all furniture returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
The textiles in our fabric library range from pure linen to rich velvet and wool, and each one has its own character. Tone and texture can vary slightly from thread to thread, and expect to see the occasional slub in our linens and pile movement in our velvets. We’ve written an article about the personality behind each of our fabrics so that you can figure out which one best suits your home.
If you’re ordering William in one of our checked wools, we’ll make sure that the buttons sit at the point where two lines meet.
Sometimes colour between batches can vary ever-so-slightly. To be on the safe side, we’d advise buying pieces that are being used in the same room in one go.
You might notice ‘marks’ on the velvet when it comes out of its packaging or after you’ve lent on it. They happen when you flatten the fibres and are a completely normal characteristic of velvet – they’re all part of the way it ages. But if you’d prefer, you can use a velvet brush to push the pile back into place.
Our fabrics: making the right choice for your home and lifestyle
A guide to each and every fabric in our collection, covering everything from style to which ones are suited to children and pets.