Carter BookcasePart of our Carter collection
We use oak for its beautiful grain, its durability and its sense of heritage (we’ve written more on its qualities here). Knots and variations in tone are part of its character, so every piece will be unique. In combination with the steel base, it takes on a rougher, tougher feel.
The oak goes through a seven-step process of brushing, staining and buffing to highlight its natural grain. It’s then protected with our IsoGuard® treatment oil in Vintage Oak, which guards against dirt and scuffs while giving it a deeper tone that works well with steel. The metal’s powder-coated so it’s almost black, but with a hint of bronze – a finish that’s designed to age well, even after it’s had a few scratches.
As metal frames can be hard on all kinds of floors, we’ve given Carter tiny rubber feet so you don’t have to worry about it catching on anything. It also comes with fixings so you can secure it to a wall.
Where we see it
You can use Carter on its own, or combine multiples to create a larger piece that suits your space. When doing this, we tend to use the different sizes together (such as two slim and one wide, or vice versa) to vary the pace.
- Furniture orders to the mainland UK and Northern Ireland come under our white glove service.
- Your order will be delivered within 5 days if the piece is available now.
- Orders placed from outside the UK or Ireland will be delivered by our international courier partners.
- Read our full delivery policy here.
- You can return any item within 28 days of delivery, but you may be charged for a courier or collection service.
- If you can cancel your order within 24 hours, you will be fully refunded.
- For tailored items and fitted cabinetry, we can only refund 80% of the cost.
- Read our full returns policy here.
Need to knows
You don’t have to secure this bookcase to the wall, but it’s something we recommend, especially if you have children or pets.
Carter’s shelves are fixed in place, but we’ve placed them at varying heights so you’ll have space for both small and large objects.
Carter’s made from natural timber, which will expand and shrink slightly as it responds to the humidity and temperature in your room. We’ve used joinery techniques that’ll help to counteract this, but small changes are completely natural. In the unlikely event that there’s a significant change to the structure, we’ll be here to help.