We use oak for its beautiful grain, its durability and its sense of heritage (we’ve written more on its qualities here). Knots and variations in tone are part of its character, so every piece will be unique. In combination with the steel base, it takes on a rougher, tougher feel.
The oak goes through a seven-step process of brushing, staining and buffing to highlight its natural grain. It’s then protected with our IsoGuard® treatment oil in Vintage Oak, which guards against dirt and scuffs while giving it a deeper tone that works well with steel. The metal’s powder-coated so it’s almost black, but with a hint of bronze – a finish that’s designed to age well, even after it’s had a few scratches.
As metal frames can be hard on all kinds of floors, we’ve given Carter tiny rubber feet so you don’t have to worry about it catching on anything. It also comes with fixings so you can secure it to a wall.
Where we see it
You can use Carter on its own, or combine multiples to create a larger piece that suits your space. When doing this, we tend to use the different sizes together (such as two slim and one wide, or vice versa) to vary the pace.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to confirm your delivery date.
- Orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back any item (in its original packaging) within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are free of charge.
- A £50 collection charge applies to all furniture and large accessory returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Need to knows
You don’t have to secure this bookcase to the wall, but it’s something we recommend, especially if you have children or pets.
Carter’s shelves are fixed in place, but we’ve placed them at varying heights so you’ll have space for both small and large objects.
Carter’s made from natural timber, which will expand and shrink slightly as it responds to the humidity and temperature in your room. We’ve used joinery techniques that’ll help to counteract this, but small changes are completely natural. In the unlikely event that there’s a significant change to the structure, we’ll be here to help.