Chawton’s made from tulipwood and oak: two timbers you can depend upon for years to come. They’re both strong, they’re both natural, and they’re both excellent at what they do – tulipwood with its fine, even grain for painting, and oak with its characterful (but not too knotty) grain for leaving on show.
The finish: tulipwood
Not every piece of furniture and every colour of paint needs the same process – a ‘one finish suits all’ approach won’t ever give you the best result possible. That’s why we vary the number of coats and use both hand-painted and spray-painted techniques depending on what that shade needs.
The finish: oak
Whichever colour you choose for the exterior, inside will always be unpainted oak. We’ve brushed, buffed and stained it to give it a slightly darkened and textured finish. And we’ve protected it with our IsoGuard® oil to help it stand up to scuffs and stains – without changing the natural feel of the timber.
In detail: handles & hardware
All Chawton’s hardware – from the porthole-like handles on the doors to the sliding rails – is finished in deep, dark Bronze. Just the thing to go with the contemporary cabinet style, it’ll create a strong contrast against Snow and a tone-on-tone look with Ink.
In detail: the shelves
Slide back the cupboard doors in your sideboard and you’ll find an oak shelf inside. It rests on pins that let you adjust its position up and down. No ordinary pins though, they’re incredibly strong metal ones, which screw into the sides properly and are finished in bronze just the same as the rest of the hardware.
- For orders under £100 (or €150 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €19 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we'll deliver it within 7 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
- Furniture orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £50 collection charge applies to all furniture and large accessory returns delivered with our white glove service.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are charged at £9.95 (or €19 in Ireland).
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Need to know
If you decide to add top cabinets to your sideboard in the future and turn it into a dresser, you’ll just need to swap out the work surface for a dresser-ready one. These have holes in them, so you can bolt the extra cabinets on.
And speaking of bolts, everything you’ll need to add to your sideboard will be included when you buy the extra pieces. From those bolts to wall brackets and the Allen key.
You’ll also find height-adjustable feet hidden behind the skirting. They’re there so you can match up both side of the sideboard, just in case your floor’s not perfectly even.
Natural timber will always want to move. It’s going to expand and shrink as the temperature and humidity in your home changes, but there are specialist joinery techniques that can help to counteract the movement. And that’s exactly what we do, so although you might see a little movement in the timber over the seasons, it won’t change drastically.
And finally, the colours you see here are as close to the real thing as we can get them, but it’s always a good idea to try a sample first if you’re looking to get the colour spot on.