Terracotta is a type of earthenware clay that has a red-orange colour thanks to the amount of iron in it. You can see a little of that colour coming through Haybrook’s glaze. Earthenware is fired at lower temperatures than stoneware or porcelain, which also gives it a rougher surface, adding to the weather-worn feel of this vase.
The finishThe exterior crackle finish on Haybrook is created using two layers of glaze. Because one dries quicker than the other, hairline cracks appear in the surface, giving it the feel of a much older piece and more layers of texture and interest. The unglazed patches are made by adding a paint to the raw clay which the glaze doesn’t stick to.
Creating the vase
Also adding to Haybrook’s rustic feel is the fact that it’s hand-made. Most of our pottery pieces are cast in a mould, which means they’re mostly uniform. But Haybrook’s made by building up the shape with slabs of clay, so each one is a little individual in terms of size and shape as well as finish.
What to fill it withHaybrook’s decorative enough that you can leave it empty, but it’s also easy to arrange with as well. If you do want to fill it, go for loose, hedgerow-style stems to work with the vase’s informal feel, like our Hops bunch and Corn Parsley. In autumn and winter, the dried look of the Queen Anne’s Lace stem complements the reddish clay. Haybrook won't hold water, so only use life-like rather than real flowers and foliage.
- For orders under £100 (or €100 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €18 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 3-5 days. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back any item (in its original packaging) within 28 days of delivery.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are free of charge.
- A £50 collection charge applies to all furniture and large accessory returns delivered with our white glove service.
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Need to know
- This vase isn't watertight, so make sure to use only life-like flowers and foliage rather than real ones.