The materials: oakOak’s sense of tradition together with its distinctive (but not too knotty) grain makes it our go-to timber. Our wood is durable when it comes to knocks, but we’ve further protected it from spills with a Dark Vintage Oak IsoGuard finish – our natural, VOC-free, oil-based formula that doesn’t mask the timber’s character.
The materials: tulipwoodWe use tulipwood because it’s strong, smooth and has very few knots, which is the ideal surface for painting. But when it comes to the application, we know that not all furniture and every colour needs the same method, so that’s why we vary the number of coats and use hand-finishing techniques specific to each piece.
The hardwareAll Chawton’s hardware, from the cupped handles to the finger-pulls on the cupboards, are finished in deep, dark bronze. It’s quite a contemporary look but with a touch of tradition. And, it’ll complement whichever colour you choose from our carefully curated palette, whether it be our go-to Snow shade or deep blue Ink.
Design detailWith the drawers, we’ve taken both aesthetics and practicality into account. To ensure they glide smoothly into place, we’ve included soft-close runners which sit underneath, so you won’t see them but the drawers will still shut smoothly. Inside the sliding cupboards and the top cabinets, you’ll find oak shelves – they rest on pins that let you adjust the position up and down. These are no ordinary pins though, they’re incredibly strong metal ones, which screw into the sides and are finished in bronze so that they match the rest of the hardware.
Doing the right thing
This long-lasting piece is created with wood from the Appalachian Mountains, a region where for every tree harvested or decaying, 2.4 naturally grow back in its place which contributes to forest regeneration.
The wood then goes to our production house, where a dedicated team is leading us towards becoming the most sustainable home and lifestyle brand by 2030. Not only is the production house powered by highly energy-efficient heat pumps, it also reuses and recycles as many by-products as possible to reduce waste and thereby, do what we can to take some of the pressure off our planet.
As well as the wood, our paints are made with both people and planet in mind, too. They're water-based, extremely low in VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds, which release harmful chemicals and unpleasant odours), are suitable for plant-based lifestyles, and they've never been tested on animals. Each pot is made in the UK by our trusted partners who have been mixing paint since 1740.
Chawton's design story
Inspired by the age-old concept of full-wall libraries, the Chawton has been on quite a design journey, all of which you can read about on our journal. Once you’ve discovered Chawton’s story, take a peek at the rest of the collection, or if you’d like advice on how to create a configuration that suits you, just pop into one of our stores to speak to a member of our friendly, well-informed team. You can find your nearest here.
- For orders under £100 (or €150 in Ireland), it’s £6.95 (or €19 in Ireland).
- If your order is available now for UK mainland delivery, we’ll deliver it within 3-5 days for accessories and lighting and 7 days for furniture. Otherwise, it’ll arrive in the estimated time frame stated above and at checkout.
- Furniture orders to mainland UK or Northern Ireland will arrive via our white glove service. We’ll unbox and position your items, assemble anything that’s needed and take away the packaging for recycling.
- If you’re ordering outside mainland UK or Northern Ireland, items will be sent through our international delivery partners.
ReturnsWe’ll happily take back most pieces within 28 days of delivery.
- For designs in a made-to-measure fabric or non-standard colour, and fitted pieces like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, we can only refund 80% of the amount you paid.
- A £50 collection charge applies to all furniture and large accessory returns delivered with our white glove service.
- For courier delivered items bought online, returns are charged at £9.95 (or €19 in Ireland).
- If you cancel your order within 24 hours, we can refund the full amount.
Need to know
Chawton’s freestanding design means that you can easily add or take away sections yourself. However, if you have a full-height Chawton (with a base and top), we recommend you attach it to the wall – you may want a professional to do this to be on the safe side. One of our experts would be happy to help with this as part of our delivery service. Natural timber will expand and shrink as the temperature and humidity in your home changes, but there are specialist joinery techniques that can help to counteract the movement. And that’s exactly what we do, so although you might see a little movement in the timber over the seasons, it won’t change drastically. The colours you see here are as close to the real thing as we can get them, but it’s always a good idea to try a sample first if you’re looking to get the colour spot on. If you decide to take away the top cabinets in the future, you’ll just need to swap out the dresser surface for a worktop-ready one. These don’t have holes in them for the bolts, so you’ll have a smooth sideboard surface.